Question

Excel Advanced Not Working

• 2 February 2022
  • 14 replies

I have the community edition attempting to learn how automation anywhere works and I am having trouble with excel advanced. Anything I try to do with excel advanced doesn't work, but Excel basic works. Using the "Open" action for both advanced and basic, I select the same file using the Desktop File selection, and Basic will open it but Advanced does not. The error I've gotten is not clear on what the issue is. I've tried all of the different versions for Excel Advanced, the file doesn't require a password, I've checked Excel permissions, Excel is installed on my computer, and I can't find a clear answer on any forums I've come across. I need to use Excel Advanced for how many more actions it can perform than basic.

Also, could someone explain Excel Sessions to me so I can have a better understanding of how to use them?

14 replies

Hi ,

Could you please share what error you are facing while opening excel from advance package.

Excel Session - Once you open any excel file we can provide the session name so later on in middle of code if you want to preform any action on that same excel file then just give session name so that it will link on same excel file.

https://docs.automationanywhere.com/bundle/enterprise-v2019/page/enterprise-cloud/topics/aae-client/bot-creator/commands/cloud-excel-command.html/p>

https://docs.automationanywhere.com/bundle/enterprise-v2019/page/enterprise-cloud/topics/aae-client/bot-creator/commands/cloud-excel-open.html/p>

https://apeople.automationanywhere.com/s/question/0D52t00001C4PBQCA3/whats-the-use-of-session-variables-in-bot-development/p>

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Caleb McCurdy​ ,

Hope you are not mix matching Excel Basic and Excel Advance commands? Please share the error Screenshot along with the Code to better help you?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @Caleb McCurdy​ ,

Session variables are what the bot uses to keep track of open files/applications.

If you open two excel files, it needs to know what operation has to performed onto what file/application, which is achieved through the use of Sessions.

Another benefit of using session variables, is that you can share it between bots, i.e., you don't have to jam all your excel operations into a single bot. This allows us to modularize it, which makes it reusable and easier to manage.

Now for the error you are facing, we will need some screenshots of the error, and also of your workflow so that we will be in a better position to assist you.

Kind Regards,

Ashwin A.K

Hello! Apologies for the delayed response. Here is the error I'm encountering when attempting to use an Excel Advanced command. Here it is just the Open command.Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 12.39.47 PM

Please make sure MS office is installed and license is not expired .Plz refer below same scenrio.

https://apeople.automationanywhere.com/s/question/0D52t00000IdoYhCAJ/i-was-trying-to-run-excel-advance-package-to-read-excel-data-below-error-occurred-despite-following-the-right-steps-/p>

Badge +7

I have the same situation from many days, Adv. excel is not working and I am using community edition. I have office installed already. It was working last yr when I was using and have some bot designed in my login that are still available.

Please suggest.

Badge +7

I have the community edition attempting to learn how automation anywhere works and I am having trouble with excel advanced. Anything I try to do with excel advanced doesn't work, but Excel basic works. Using the "Open" action for both advanced and basic, I select the same file using the Desktop File selection, and Basic will open it but Advanced does not. The error I've gotten is not clear on what the issue is. I've tried all of the different versions for Excel Advanced, the file doesn't require a password, I've checked Excel permissions, Excel is installed on my computer, and I can't find a clear answer on any forums I've come across. I need to use Excel Advanced for how many more actions it can perform than basic.

Also, could someone explain Excel Sessions to me so I can have a better understanding of how to use them?

I have the same situation from many days, Adv. excel is not working and I am using community edition. I have office installed already. It was working last yr when I was using and have some bot designed in my login that are still available.

Please suggest.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @Mauzey ,

Kindly check and confirm whether you are using the same session names while Opening, Writing and Closing the Excel files. 

Badge +7

Its actually getting frozen at exact line where we need to put open advance excel command. and there is any error handler, then throws error. So that means advanced excel is not doing anything. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Ranjit 3478 ,

May I know the Ex.Ad Package & MS Office versions that you are using.

Badge +7

@Padmakumar current excel adv. version 6.10.4-20220714-144826

Bot agent version- 21.222

Badge

I’m facing same issue. Excel Advance - OpenExcel Action is not working for me in community edition. 

excel adv. version 6.15.1

Bot agent version- 21.250

Please let me know how to fix this issue.

Badge

Never mind, this issues was fixed when I updated MS office in my computer.