Skip to main content

how to do tasks with file and email triggers? As I searched, using triggers on task itself is not enough, I have to make some settings on controlroom-credentials or something

Hi @Semih 3318 

Yes, you will need Manage event triggers permission   to add them in Control-Room:

https://docs.automationanywhere.com/bundle/enterprise-v2019/page/enterprise-cloud/topics/aae-client/attended-automation/cloud-event-triggers.html

https://docs.automationanywhere.com/bundle/enterprise-v2019/page/enterprise-cloud/topics/aae-client/bot-creator/working-with-automation-tasks/run-bot-with-event-triggers.html

Also, you can check  below videos

Regards

Hello @Raul Jaimes 

as i remember, i tried to do event triggers on control room but i somehow couldnt achieve it.

Now ill give it a try again. Thanks for the answer

Hello @Raul Jaimes 

I am trying to use EmailTrigger, but it does not show me “Run with triggers” option. Also as I know, when I run a task with triggers, it automatically will be added on event triggers list on controlroom.

So since i cant run it with triggers, it doesnt get loaded.

What do I do?

@Semih 3318 

Drag and drop a  Trigger action to your taskbot. It will allow run a bot using event triggers.

Regards

I’m not sure if even running from the control room achieves what most developers think of as a trigger. Launching a BOT with triggers from the control room starts the BOT on the specific BOT Runner and then it’s open and running waiting for its trigger. That ties up that BOT runner until the BOT receives its trigger so no other BOT can use that runner.

What I think of as a true “trigger” is “something happens” and the BOT is Launched. A Trigger in AA is “BOT is launched and waits for the trigger”.

We use power apps and logic apps to pick up files from e-mail and other actions and schedule some of our BOTs to run every 15 minutes to check for new files etc. 

@Raul Jaimes Hi, thanks a lot for the reply.

I added Trigger action now, (i thought i needed to use Trigger on Actions part, instead of Triggers part on the left)

I added Trigger action on the top of the task and checked it in to public.

What should I do next? (I just runned it from controlroom and it seems working, but i think i have some parts missing. Do I need to schedule it ? and also i havent seen anything on the controlroom-Manage-event triggers part) What can i do? 

Thanks

@JMarino thank you for your reply. Do you schedule your bot with triggers, just like other bots without triggers? As I understand, you schedule it and it always look at email in every 15mins, if there is email, it runs.

I am actually trying to understand what is different between scheduling bots with triggers, and not scheduling but just using Trigger action.

I guess you didnt use Trigger action, but you behave your bot like it was a trigger in every 15mins, it connects to email server, and looks at the email inbox.

If it is scheduled, it will always run and look at emails. But if its not scheduled, and only if it has trigger action, how does it behave? Does it still run in a every specific time?

Thank you.

@Raul Jaimes 

I added FileTrigger, it works on botcreator.

Then i checked it into public. Created event trigger. After that, on the controlroom, i selected Automation-Run bot with triggers- dragged the bot to the right with arrow- and then it gets enabled.

But when i add the file, it doesnt run on botrunner

seems like i miss something, could you help please?

Hi @Semih 3318 

in the VM enter to Control-Room using botrunner account. You will able to see a pop-up indicates Trigger configuration is started.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards

Hi @Raul Jaimes  thanks for your help.

I used Trigger action, checked in the bot to the public, then created “event triggers” on controlroom, and clicked on automation. On the right there is run with triggers, i choose the task and now it runs.

@Semih 3318 

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards

@Raul Jaimes i thank you for the help.

By the way may I ask you whats difference between setting email:Trigger for 10 seconds, and 10 minutes?

if i choose it for 10seconds, will it look at email every 10 seconds, and if there is email, it will run?

so it will not take too much time to look at email, right?

Then why does it not being used like file trigger, file trigger doesnt require “time”

i thought it might be better if AA360 just got it whenever it got email like a file trigger.

Hi @Semih 3318 

in the VM enter to Control-Room using botrunner account. You will able to see a pop-up indicates Trigger configuration is started.

Regards

Why is necessary doing this? It is a bit of “a pain”...every time the bot runner VM is restarted or the Control Room is restarted this has to be manually performed so that the trigger is activated isn’t it?? @Raul Jaimes 

@Andoni This was because triggers run on bot runners not on CR, when JVM goes down (when machine is restarted triggers are lost). Triggers in AA are ScheduledExecutorService  running in background polling every x duration on bot runners.

However I read in recent release notes, this is fixed and CR pushes the event triggers(polling on runner) once machine is connected again.

@Andoni This was because triggers run on bot runners not on CR, when JVM goes down (when machine is restarted triggers are lost). Triggers in AA are ScheduledExecutorService  running in background polling every x duration on bot runners.

However I read in recent release notes, this is fixed and CR pushes the event triggers(polling on runner) once machine is connected again.

Hence the device that performs the polling (e.g. When email arrives or a file is created) is the bot runner VM and not the CR server? 

@Andoni  Yes, that’s correct actual code executing to check trigger condition runs on bot runner: that has JVM installed.

CR only has trigger id, i.e. a specific trigger should run on specific runner.

@Andoni  Yes, that’s correct actual code executing to check trigger condition runs on bot runner: that has JVM installed.

CR only has trigger id, i.e. a specific trigger should run on specific runner.

Thanks! By the way, when using Email trigger, is there any way of getting the attachment(s) of it?? Can’t find any way

Hi @Semih 3318 

Regards

Why is necessary doing this? It is a bit of “a pain”...every time the bot runner VM is restarted or the Control Room is restarted this has to be manually performed so that the trigger is activated isn’t it?? @Raul Jaimes 

hey excuse me. can A360 do background process? or running without showing the window and do any activity? thanks

Add as many details as possible, by providing details you’ll make it easier for others to reply

Hey excuse me. can A360 do background process? or running without showing the window and do any activity? thanks