Skip to main content
Question

Why is the excel file blank even though I use ExcelBasic:Set cell?

I dont have Excel installed on my machine, so I use Excel Basic package.

There are 2 excel files, i get two values of columns from an excel file, and do calculation using those values, and set cell to other excel file.

In messageBox, i see the values are correct. But it doesnt write to excel

Whats the reason? 20.line seems doesnt work

Hi @ChanduMohammad S​ 

I used Excel Basic package since i didnt have Office installed. So i guess by this way i can play with excel.

Also i found my issue I wasnt so familiar with ExcelBasic package, I have to close the Excel file to see if it is filled or not.

When i open excel file, i see its not filled if i dont close it.

I see this diffference between having Office installed and using Excel:Advanced package, and having no Office and using Excel:Basic package

Now i see the excel file is filled with right values after closing and opening the file

Hi @Ashwin A.K

Thank you for the reply 

Its the correct column and row thats being set to, actually.

Also something i figured out, for example i set A2 with a value of 5210

when i open excel file i dont see thats written, but when i use ExcelBasic: get single cell of A2, it gives me correct value in a message box

Hi @Semih Öztürk​ ,

Can you please add the message box and check before setting the value in excel whether the variable has the data or is empty?

Thanks!

Great @Semih Öztürk​ , FYI Using Close Command in Excel Basic will Save changes when closing file. Additionally you can also use Excel basic: Save workbook command just like saving the excel sheet.

Hi @Tamil Arasu​ 

Thank you for the reply. I checked it, and there is a value in variable named vTotalWeightStr

I checked the excel session name, its correct too

Hi @Semih Öztürk​ ,

Curious to know, how you are checking the excel values if you don't have Office Suite installed in your machine?

Hi @Semih Öztürk​ ,

Could you check what address the value is being set into?

Preferably in a message box

Kind Regards,

Ashwin A.K

Hi @Semih Öztürk​ ,

There is a chance that you haven't checked the option to save while closing it:

There is also an action for that as well:

Could you try and see if this works out for you?

Kind Regards,

Ashwin A.K

Hi @Semih Öztürk​ ,

Yes you are right on the Differences pointed out.

Hi @ChanduMohammad S​ 

Yeah, i thought i could see the change before i close the excel file or save the file like how its in Office installed on the machine, but there is a difference. Even if i open excel with excel basic package, i dont see its opened, it works on background i guess. But installed excel was different.

Hi @Ashwin A.K​ 

Yeah thank you, i just tried to look at the excel before saving it closing the file just like how it was using with installed excel

so if i use excel basic package, i have to close the file or save the file to see the changes.