Skip to main content

I have a client who has a process to automate which actually requires their end users to submit request for Catalog creation and modification. The request first should go to the respective line manager of the user for their approval after which the same needs to be addressed the bot for remaining course of actions.

Customer is having SharePoint where they kept supporting documents which will be using throughout the process based on certain requirements. So, an integration between the Form and the SharePoint is also will be necessary.

The huddle for us now is, how to setup an environment for the end-user to submit the request. The customer has already gone through AARI interface which they didn't like. One of the fellow developers proposed to have a .NET Web form for submitting the request which then should be taken care by the Bot. The integration between the BOT and .NET form is a question mark here.

Any thoughts on this will be a real help.

@Micah.Smith

Hi @Padmakumar ,

The following thoughts are popping up in my mind. I hope this might help you

Here, you can use PowerApps to create the form design and integrate it with a SharePoint list. In the SharePoint list, you will be able to store supporting documents as well.

Once data is updated in SharePoint, please use the SharePoint package to automate the process from there.

@Padmakumar - I would try to understand what they didnt like about Co-Pilot. Its a fully customizable form builder that can be emended/integrated into existing apps. Not saying you have to use that, but it would make integration much easier - and I’m not sure of any other “form builders” that would offer anything distinctly different.

From there - I would use the sharepoint package as @Tamil Arasu10 mentioned since it sounds like you need to integrate to existing sharepoint docs. 

The PowerApps approach mentioned above may be doable, but my concern is always that once you try to piece meal things from multiple providers together, it can be tougher to identify when/where/how things break

@Padmakumar I understand the thought behind Co-Pilot (AARI), we run into a number of customers who are not happy with the limitations. I agree with Micah in that you don’t want to try stitching platforms like PowerApps and AA together, as you’re simply creating additional points of failure. Plus, PowerApps 🤢 but I may be biased having worked on it so long.

I know with Microsoft Forms web part in modern Sharepoint you can do slightly better than the list forms of yesteryear, has your team looked into this at all? The form can be backed by a list, and is probably as close as you’ll get to fully integrated. 

If that is not going to work, I would suggest having your team take a look at PowerShell Universal. With it, you can create easy .Net forms, dashboards, pages, etc., hosted either locally (think on your bot runner) or centrally, using pure PS. I have a number of customers that use this: it is low-cost, you can create forms and dashboards in literally minutes, AA Bots interact with these forms/dashboards very well, and of course you can integrate it with your SharePoint environment.

@Padmakumar I understand the thought behind Co-Pilot (AARI), we run into a number of customers who are not happy with the limitations. I agree with Micah in that you don’t want to try stitching platforms like PowerApps and AA together, as you’re simply creating additional points of failure. Plus, PowerApps 🤢 but I may be biased having worked on it so long.

I know with Microsoft Forms web part in modern Sharepoint you can do slightly better than the list forms of yesteryear, has your team looked into this at all? The form can be backed by a list, and is probably as close as you’ll get to fully integrated. 

If that is not going to work, I would suggest having your team take a look at PowerShell Universal. With it, you can create easy .Net forms, dashboards, pages, etc., hosted either locally (think on your bot runner) or centrally, using pure PS. I have a number of customers that use this: it is low-cost, you can create forms and dashboards in literally minutes, AA Bots interact with these forms/dashboards very well, and of course you can integrate it with your SharePoint environment.

Hi Logan,

Thank you for your response. Yes, my team had already checked the Microsoft form which in fact also didn't satisfy the customer expectation. Finally, we are agreed to proceed with the PowerShell Universal through which, .NET form will be created to get the User inputs which is then will be uploaded to the SQL Database. Based on that, Bot will be triggered to perform the post activities. 

@Padmakumar - I would try to understand what they didnt like about Co-Pilot. Its a fully customizable form builder that can be emended/integrated into existing apps. Not saying you have to use that, but it would make integration much easier - and I’m not sure of any other “form builders” that would offer anything distinctly different.

From there - I would use the sharepoint package as @Tamil Arasu10 mentioned since it sounds like you need to integrate to existing sharepoint docs. 

The PowerApps approach mentioned above may be doable, but my concern is always that once you try to piece meal things from multiple providers together, it can be tougher to identify when/where/how things break

Hi @Micah.Smith ,

Thanks for the response. I am not sure why the customer was not happy with the AARI but what I heard was true, they had some bad experience with it previously. 

Our predecessor team had developed a .NET form to get the User inputs. They were happy with it and requested us to carryforward from the same. 

Anyway, we are ok to proceed with the process now through PowerShell Universal + A360 Bot.

Hi @Padmakumar ,

The following thoughts are popping up in my mind. I hope this might help you

Here, you can use PowerApps to create the form design and integrate it with a SharePoint list. In the SharePoint list, you will be able to store supporting documents as well.

Once data is updated in SharePoint, please use the SharePoint package to automate the process from there.

Hi @Tamil Arasu10 ,

Thanks for the response. This was one of the thoughts we had and also shared with the customer. But they were keen to use the .NET form for the User inputs and either SharePoint integration or any Database for maintaining the Input data.