Question

Keystroke simulation within a web application

• 24 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have a bot that logins into a web app. Once there, it has to navigate to a different screen by simulating several keystrokes. First it has to select 'File' tab from the top menu. When 'File' expands, it has to select 'Open' -> 'Applications' -> 'Financial Close Management' -> 'Reconciliation Manager' (as shown below).

For some reason use of Alt+f works sometimes and sometimes doesn't and that is when problem starts, because all other subsequent keystrokes are useless. What happens sometimes when bot simulates Alt+f is that it only marks the 'File' tab, but it doesn't expand it. Like this:

I am building the bot with AA 11.3 Enterprise Client, and this is the code currently in use:

Any help/advice/hint is much appreciated! Ty.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @Sergej Dedic​ ,

The problem with Keystrokes is it is incredibly delicate, and like you stated, there is not way for the bot to recognize whether the Keystrokes have interacted with the web elements in the way it is supposed to.

The only way to resolve this is by adding long delays, also in between keystrokes.

The ideal way to automate this is by using Object Cloning, have you given this a try yet?

Kind Regards,

Ashwin A.K

Hi Ashwin,

thank you for the reply and advice. I was thinking the same and it looks like I will have to use OC instead of keystroke simulation.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @Sergej Dedic​ ,

Also, if the URL you are trying to navigate to isn't dynamic, you could directly navigate to it after logging in.

Kind Regards,

Ashwin A.K

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @Sergej Dedic​ ,

OC with proper delays will work in the case.