Solved

Cannot create a folder using Folder Create action

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hello,

I am using A360 v27 (on-prem). Whenever I try to create a folder the bot gets stuck (infinitely running) and it does nothing. Any ideas why this could happen? (it happens same thing no matter which Folder package version I use)

icon

Best answer by Andoni 21 March 2023, 20:48

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Andoni ,

Can you please share the screenshot of the action where you are trying to create the folder

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Zaid Chougle 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Andoni ,

On which step does it goes into infinite state?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Zaid Chougle in the first one (folder creation)

Badge

Buen día, elimite un bot que de prueba y ahora veo que quedo en error, en Activad - Proceso. Como lo puedo elminar desde ahí?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I am starting to suspect that this is due to my company’s antivirus….

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Andoni  : please try with generic folder like c:\xxx rather than C:\users\xx\xxx

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I am starting to suspect that this is due to my company’s antivirus….

Hey @Andoni ,

Can you check for any other location whether it is going in an infinite loop or not.

Badge +3

Hey @Andoni my dear friend, nice to see a post from you in here! :) 

Have you already checked the Node Manager logs on the machine?

Best,

Robin

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

What a surprise @Robin 9003 , glad to hear from you =). Issue is this one:

Line 1 is executed without any issues but the bot agent spends like 10 minutes in line 2 to create the folder named “test_folder”. I have checked the antivirus and it is not blocking anything. I think that there is sth wrong with the laptop itself…

@Robin 9003, node manager logs all good, no issues as the bot is deployed on the machine

@Zaid Chougle no matter which folder I put in line 2, it takes forever (~10 min) to create a directory. It is not a matter of specific folder

Badge +3

@Andoni, I guess you’ve already done this, but just to double check - have you tried to use an older version of the “Folder” package?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Robin 9003 yes, I tried with more than 6 different package version and same issue…

On top of that I have tried doing this same bot using my personal laptop + community edition and same issue occurs…(creation/deletion of a folder takes around 6-10 minutes)

@Raul Jaimes I have read some of your posts and you seem a savvy guy in terms of troubleshooting, what do you recommend?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @Andoni 

In that same vein:

1.-Delete cache folder C:\ProgramData\AutomationAnywhere\GlobalCache

2.-Reinstall Bot Agent.

3..-Temporarily deactivate antivirus

4.-Increase the level logs to DEBUG if the issue persists

https://apeople.automationanywhere.com/s/article/A2019-How-to-enable-DEBUG-logs-for-Bot-Agent

Let us know the result

Regards

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hello @Raul Jaimes ,

Nothing, I’ve read the debug logs and nothing “strange”.

Same behaviour in both my company laptop (using company on-prem A360) and my personal laptop (using Community Edition CR). Bot is deployed but those actions that create/delete folders take forever (6-10 minutes...)

EDIT: FYI, I have tried this same thing usiing uipath studio and power automate (it works with both of them...)

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@Andoni 

Weird. I’ve create a simple bot using the same actions  using Community Edition (https://community.cloud.automationanywhere.digital/) and i get the expected result.

i have some other ideas:

Discarded Antivirus ? using a Proxy or VPN ? Occurs the same with others bot actions ?

Change the path to C:\some_test   directly. 

What happen if you try to download the package from artifacts site ?

https://aai-artifacts.my.automationanywhere.digital/packages/bot-command-folder-6.5.0-20221003-160340.jar

Activate Developer tools in Chrome and try to identify what is the slowest result in the network section.

Let us know your feedback.

Regards

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Dear @Raul Jaimes,

I finally found the issue (as I experienced this both in my work laptop and my personal laptop I looked for “common” stuff that might be breaking it).

The culprit was a (disconnected, non-existent) network shared drive (I created a storage account in azure some time ago for testing, mapped it in both laptops and then deleted the storage account from azure, without removing the mapping from the laptops). This has caused the AA bot not a huge delay for creating/removing (basically writing) folders

Conclusion: I have disconnected the non-existent network drive from both laptops and “voilá”, the create folder action ran as expected

I will raise this to AA because it is extremely rare (as said, both UiPath and Power Automate Desktop were able to create/remove folders without any issue even though this disconnected shared drive was present)

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @Andoni 

Good finding! Sounds a defect in A360 even in previous releases of packages. Let us know the feedback from Automation Anywhere. 

Regards

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Raul Jaimes I think their Folder package has some underlying Java code that maps all the drives in the Folder-Create and Folder-Delete actions, which causes a huge delay if your bot runner machine has a disconnected network shared drive mapped...I have already raised this to AA, let’s see if they do something about it!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@Raul Jaimes I think their Folder package has some underlying Java code that maps all the drives in the Folder-Create and Folder-Delete actions, which causes a huge delay if your bot runner machine has a disconnected network shared drive mapped...I have already raised this to AA, let’s see if they do something about it!

Thank you!