Question

First Bot. Unable to open the excel file.

• 21 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I am trying to create by first Bot but it is unable to open the spreadsheet. Not sure how to fix that as i can open it but not via the bot steps. Any advice ?

9 replies

Badge +2

@Nishant.D 

dis you connect your bot agent?

it is showing green tick mark?

if not please do those steps

cheers

Badge +1

Hi Nishant,

If you are trying with excel advance package command then check whether ms office license active on your PC.

Otherwise you can use Excel has a basic package commands also for excel operation.

Badge +1

Hi gorthianil, Suyog,

I have my bot connected and i have an excel licnese as well. The bot is able to write data to the excel in the previous steps but not able to open again when trying to populate the excel data to the online form.

Badge +1

Can we get the screenshots of the commands you are using, so that it will be easier for us to understand the problem. And you you can also put line number at which you are getting the error in the chat.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @Nishant.D ,

I hope you are populating data from Excel through loop. If so, please check whether you are using the Excel close action within the same loop or not. If yes, please move that to the outside of loop. 

Session names in Excel open & close action should be same.

Badge +1
It is giving error in step 7, i think i am doing something wrong with the loop. The close and open are same session name.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
It is giving error in step 7, i think i am doing something wrong with the loop. The close and open are same session name.

I can’t see any issue on line 7. But your loop consists of only one action. You might be mistakenly put rest of the capture actions outside of it. Make changes as shown below. 

Also, since you are newbie, there is a concept called Error handling. You can use Try-catch package to detect and handle errors. 

Refer here for further details on this.

If you are encountering the error still, please use this try-catch option and share the detailed error message.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Dear @Nishant.D,

There could be several reasons why your Automation Anywhere bot is unable to open a spreadsheet. Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Make sure that the spreadsheet is saved in a location that the bot has access to. If the spreadsheet is saved on a network drive or a remote server, the bot may not have permission to access it.

2. Make sure that the bot has the necessary permissions to open the spreadsheet. If the spreadsheet is protected with a password or has restricted access, the bot may not be able to open it.

3. Make sure that the spreadsheet is not already open in another program. If the spreadsheet is open in another program, the bot may not be able to open it.

4. Make sure that the bot is using the correct file path to access the spreadsheet. If the file path is incorrect, the bot will not be able to find the spreadsheet.

If none of these suggestions help, it may be helpful to check the log files to see if there are any error messages that can help identify the cause of the issue. You can find the log files by going to the "Logs" tab in Automation Anywhere and selecting the appropriate bot from the list.

Regards,

Badge +2

@Nishant.D

for csv files please use read csv instead of excel activities.that should solve the issue

to be precise open csv and read csv file is what you need to use

cheers