Skip to main content
Question

Could not Connect to Database. Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

• 24 July 2024
  • 1 reply

Good afternoon,

I am trying to get connected with an XLS and XLSX file via Ole DB provider 12.0 and 16.0, from A360 I am using these connection strings for each test

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=E:\EDI_Backup_mails\AMR_BKP_PATHS.xlsx;Extended Properties=Excel 12.0 Xml;HDR=YES;

or 

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=E:\EDI_Backup_mails\AMR_BKP_PATHS.xls;Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;HDR=YES;

And getting the error mentioned,

While, if I do it via a *.udl file input the same parameters and test it I have no problems and the connection is ok, but not via task…, Have I to check any other parameter ?

Thks

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

First, Excel is not a database. Connecting it as such is difficult at best.

Second, you have to mess around with the parameters a lot to make it work just right. The site “connectionstrings.com” might provide some help.

From the Pathfinder Academy video, “Digging Deeper with Excel”, around the 2:48 mark, we talk about connecting Excel as a database. What works on my system may not work on your system. That is the problem with Windows and OLE data sources.

Try this connection string, but do not expect 100% success.

Many variables affect the availability of connecting Excel files in this way. You have to try different parameters. Watch the video on Pathfinder Academy too.