Question

Unable to download child bot Compilation error

• 18 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Hi all,

I have a parent bot that is calling a child bot. Name of the child bot comes from a string variable. When I run it in attended mode, it works perfectly fine. When I run it in unattended mode on another VM, I’m getting error below:

“An unexpected error occurred. Unable to download child bot 'repository:///Automation%20Anywhere/Bots/xxxxxx'. Compilation error attempting to compile child bot "xxxxxx". Please contact system administrator.”

Do you know how this error can be fixed?

Thank you and best regards

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @Kasia 8214 

When a task is created with characters '(' and ')' in the file name, no error is encountered while saving the task. The task also runs successfully. However, when you call the same task from another task, you get an error that the child bot is not available.
Certain special characters are allowed in the file name, but as we noted with characters '(' and ')', they seem to be valid characters but when called from another task, the task with the mentioned characters in the file name is not found.

Can you rename the subtask without string variable or special characters and try again?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Kasia 8214 

Cause 1 :
On Dev, the Folder Structure for the subtask is: /Bots/Bot3/SubModules/Bot3_IQBOTDownloader 
While on UAT, the Folder Structure for the subtask is: /Bots/BOT3/SubModules/Bot3_IQBOTDownloader

Here, we see that the case of the parent folder is different in both the environments: "Bot3" in Dev and "BOT3" in UAT. And when we run the task in UAT environment, it looks for the path-
"repository:///Automation%20Anywhere/Bots/Bot3/SubModules/Bot3_IQBOTDownloaderPlease"

And as it does not find the folder named "Bot3", it throws an error that the child bot is not available.

Cause 2 :
Subtask name that has brackets '(' and  ')' cannot be called by another task/main task.

Resolution/Workaround

Solution 1 :
To resolve the issue please follow the below steps-

1. Make sure that the user who is running the task has permission to run the bot from the folder where the child bot is kept.
  2. If permissions are correctly set, modify the UAT bot with the correct "Control Room File" path for the sub-tasks. The folder names are case-sensitive. We need to make sure that the folder name in both environments exists in the same case.

In this example, the "Control Room File" path of the UAT bot was changed as per the UAT folder structure, ie. /Bots/BOT3/SubModules/Bot3_IQBOTDownloader. 

Solution 2 :
When a task is created with characters '(' and ')' in the file name, no error is encountered while saving the task. The task also runs successfully. However, when you call the same task from another task, you get an error that the child bot is not available.
Certain special characters are allowed in the file name, but as we noted with characters '(' and ')', they seem to be valid characters but when called from another task, the task with the mentioned characters in the file name is not found.