Skip to main content
Question

Recorder: Capture difficulties

• 23 August 2024
  • 1 reply

I’m looking to input text into a <textarea> object which is inside a div with a long class name. I tried using the native capture function but it couldn’t detect the object when I moused over it. I recorded another object on the page and tried to change some of the object properties but I got an error in relation to the first box - “‘CLIENT’ not found, however the Control Type can’t be changed.

Error message: “Unable to find CLIENT. Search Criteria did not match.”

How can I best target where I want to type my text on the webpage other than tabs and keystrokes?

Possible solutions:

1. Disable all the properties in the recorder except for the DOM XPath. You can test the XPath in chrome or edge using the devtools panel: How to verify an XPath expression in Chrome Developers tool or Firefox's Firebug? - Stack Overflow
  2. Use AI Sense with an anchor instead of the regular recorder: AISense for recording tasks from remote applications (automationanywhere.com)
  3. Capture the window variable as a browser, then use the Browser: Run JavaScript action to interact with the text area: javascript - How to change input text value and store data in Chrome Console with JS - Stack Overflow
  4. Try a different version of the Recorder package: Select the package version used in your bot (automationanywhere.com)
  5. Instead of using the “Set Text” action, try changing it to a “Click” or a “Left Click”, and then use the “Simulate keystrokes” action to set the text.
  6. Recapture the object with different technologies: Capture using specific technology (automationanywhere.com)

If you are using a public website, you can post the link and I’d be happy to take a look.

You may also want to read this document: Search criteria used by the Recorder package (automationanywhere.com)