Question

Automation 360 Record actions on applications run as administrator

• 11 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello everyone,

I have a problem recording actions on corporate applications running as administrator in Windows 10 and Windows 11.

I replicated the following scenario with a standard Windows application:

1. Open notepad without administrator mode.
  2. Add Simulate Keystrokes.
  3. Add Recorder: Capture Set text.
  4. Click on the "Run" button.
  5. All OK.
  6. Close notepad.
  7. Open notepad as administrator.
  8. Click on the "Run" button. (It fails, but the cause of failure is understood because the application is running as administrator, it requires the Taskbot to run with privileges).
  9. Then execute the "Run with administrative privileges" subtask.
  10. All OK.

The problem is when trying to record actions on an application from the start executed as administrator, actions cannot be recorded, that is:

1. Open notepad as administrator.
  2. Add Simulate Keystrokes. (Can be added with the window type variable already created)
  3. Add Recorder: Capture (It does not allow the capture of the menus or the text space, the fields are not highlighted in red, it does not record actions).

Therefore, if the application that I use can only be used as an administrator, it does not allow me to record the actions.

How can you record actions on applications run as administrator?

Additional Information:

• Control Room: Automation 360 Version 26, Build 15450
  • Command Recorder version: 2.9.2-20221122-181034
  • Windows user is administrator
  • The test was also performed on a Windows 10 machine.
  • Attached video of the tests.

Thank you very much, I appreciate any help you can give me.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@BOT.DEV  are you using windows 2019 ?
https://apeople.automationanywhere.com/s/article/A360-Reorder-Windows-Server-2019/

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @rbkadiyam,

I tested on Windows 10 Pro and Windows 11 Pro, thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @BOT.DEV ,

Good question. I have tried capture a object in notepad but it raises an error message like you are facing 

But, i opened notepad as admin using command line and i can record an object. Save a file in a default location and i notice it was saved in the admin profile.

runas /user:Administrador "C:\Windows\notepad.exe"

Try it and let us know the result.

Regards.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @Raul Jaimes,

Thank you very much for your help, I confirm that actions can be recorded when running notepad with the runas command.

Additionally, I share another alternative provided by Automation support to run the bot agent service with elevated mode:

Resolution/Workaround To start Bot agent service process Javaw.exe with elevated privilege please follow below instructions:

• Open Local Security Policy, from the Start screen by typing secpol.msc, and then press ENTER
  • Under Security Settings of the console, tree expand Local Policies and the click on Security Options
  • Find policy User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode policy and then edit it and Disable it
  • Open the command prompt as an administrator and run cmd gpupdate/force
  • In my case it was necessary to restart the machine.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @Raul Jaimes,

Thank you very much for your help, I confirm that actions can be recorded when running notepad with the runas command.

Additionally, I share another alternative provided by Automation support to run the bot agent service with elevated mode:

Resolution/Workaround To start Bot agent service process Javaw.exe with elevated privilege please follow below instructions:

• Open Local Security Policy, from the Start screen by typing secpol.msc, and then press ENTER
  • Under Security Settings of the console, tree expand Local Policies and the click on Security Options
  • Find policy User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode policy and then edit it and Disable it
  • Open the command prompt as an administrator and run cmd gpupdate/force
  • In my case it was necessary to restart the machine.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Thanks for you feedback :)